Tuesday, July 19, 2011

We are moving to South Korea

We've been kinda cryptic about our upcoming plans, but now that everything's official, it's time to announce it clearly. Yes, we are moving to South Korea. I've been hired through the Korean government to teach English at a public middle school in Seongnam, which is a city of about 1 million people (9th largest in the republic), just a 45-minute trip from Seoul, roughly. Carlos will stay home with Lucas and teach him all the important stuff in life. We will be together.

The position includes a furnished one-bedroom apartment (for those who have taught in Korea, you know that one bedroom is a big deal!), which is located about 5 minutes' walking distance from the school, and which has a park across the street.

My contract starts September 1, but I'm pretty sure we'll be heading there a bit in advance, so we'll straighten out those details soon. I'm very excited about this position because when I interviewed with the school, they were especially on board with me bringing a family, which isn't typical for these government teaching positions. I was praying a lot for the right position and this is very much an answer to those prayers.

South Korea is the plan for the years until Lucas reaches school age. At that point, hopefully the final step in our plan will be complete, but until that stage of the plan is more fully secured, it's safest to refrain from discussing it.

So, I want to thank everyone who has been praying and encouraging us as we headed towards this goal.


To my Korean-American friends who have spent time in Korea, and to all my friends who have taught English there, I especially would appreciate any advice you are willing to offer.

To everyone else, we need your prayers that all the details between here and there will work out. Visas are especially a source of stress, as Carlos and Lucas' visas are dependent on mine and I'm still not confident whether we'll all be able to enter Korea together as residents. So please pray that the paperwork all goes smoothly and we don't have to spend too much time, if any, apart. Also pray for peace. Although we've been preparing for this for about a year, it's still very painful to finally give up on the dream of creating a life in the US, and saying goodbye to so many loved ones is truly heartbreaking.
So, the upcoming weeks will bring my final goodbyes to the country I love. I am truly devastated to be leaving the US this time, knowing that from now on, I will only be back to visit. But if I must leave, at least I know we will be in one truly remarkable place, and we'll be there together.

Although this is about Seoul rather than Seongnam, this is a great video for getting excited about moving to South Korea. (I love the folk anthem used in the background)

Seoul Time Lapse 2011 from Oh Choong Young on Vimeo.

15 comments:

greengagirl said...

How wonderful! I start teaching 7th graders in Mexico on August 22nd. We should share stories, lessons, and tips since we will both be going through the foreign teaching process at the same time.

Corin said...

Wooohooooooo!!! That's awesome!!! I hear you on it being bittersweet, but I'm still so excited for you and all of the adventures you'll have!!!

The Deportees Wife said...

Amy, I'll be praying for you and your family. Bring on the new adventures! :)

Laura said...

Amy I've been waiting so long for an announcement from you about your family finally being reunited!! I am so excited for you guys. I know it won't be easy or perfect but I am praying that you guys finally discover peace from all this uncertainty you've had for way way too long. Can't wait to hear about your adventures!

Katie said...

That sounds like a great (if temporary and far away) solution. I hope you have a fabulous experience in Korea. (and I hope you continue blogging so I can live vicariously through you!)

ArmyMustang said...

Excellent, I'm all up for traveling to South Korea to visit too, didn't they just win the bid for 2018 Winter Olympics :)

Krystal

Anonymous said...

Congratulations that's great news!

Stephanie said...

So excited for you all to be together! I cant imagine how you must be feeling now...you must be all over the place!! I wanted to share a blog--Vanessa and Kyle are living in South Korea teaching English..they are great! Their blog is a lot of fun and if you email Vanessa, she will be sure to respond!! Here is the blog: http://vanessayrogers.blogspot.com/


Good luck! I am so happy for your family and your new adventure!

Laura said...

Amy, I am so excited for you and your family! I am happy that you are moving on to the next stage in your life together as a family. I will be praying for peace as you requested and hoping that it is a smooth transition for you all.

Kelsey said...

Holy crap! How did I miss this announcement?! I cried reading it. I know how hard it will be to leave and I know the love you have for your husband and son to be strong enough to do it. You are one of the most brave women I have ever known :)

My aunt's husband is from Korea and they just got back from a month long trip to there. I will speak with them and see what kind of tips I can get for you. My aunt taught english in Japan for 12 years too. They know all about Asian culture!

Good luck with everything!! I'm praying for you guys :)

Renee said...

Yeeey! Amy that is great news! I am very excited for your family. Best of luck to you in your South Korean adventure. So happy that your family will finally be together.

Vanessa Rogers said...

Good luck with your move to Korea. I lived in Seognam when I first moved to Korea. Its a great area. If you have any questions feel free to email me anytime.

sandra191406 said...

I wish you the very best with this new chapter in your life. I'm thrilled to see that you and your son will be reunited with your husband. Best wishes.

Anonymous said...

Ennovi: Congrats! I am very excited for you. I hope in the future you can be together in the US, but for now enjoy this time together. Wish you the best!

Amanda said...

What what a brave little family. This sounds so exciting I cant wait to read about your time there.

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving your comments! Feel free to agree, disagree, or provide your own perspective. However, personal attacks will not be tolerated and such comments will be deleted. Also, including the sources for any information you provide is highly encouraged! :)

Sorry, I had to turn on word verification, too much spam. :(