Thursday, May 06, 2010

sometimes perfection is unnecessary

So maybe I exaggerated when I said the blog re-design was just about ready to be rolled out.  Sometimes I think I'm more capable of awesomeness than I truly am.  And sometimes I wonder why I insist on doing things myself, and having them come out *JUST PERFECT*, and waiting until that elusive standard of perfection is achieved before I release my project to the world.  This statement applies to my approach to our immigration battle, by the way, and I think it's unfortunate.

I'm not sure where things changed.  I remember a time when I was a lot less concerned about things.  Let's start with Barcelona, where Carlos and I discovered that our original goal was not going to be attainable.  So we said, "Hey, let's explore Europe and then move to Mexico."  I actually remember the moment when we had that conversation, sitting on an ancient Roman wall in the Barri Gòtic, watching some backpacker slink by, shoeless and slouchy-shouldered.  "Could we end up like that?" we wondered.  Didn't want to find out. 


Plotting our adventures from our balcony in Poble Sec

So we walked back to our temporary flat, 3rd (but in American terms, 4th) floor with no elevator, where the other bedrooms were occupied by a French couple (he was settling in to study for a semester, she was headed back to Lyon), a Swedish couple (they pretty much slept all day and were gone all night, standard for Barcelona), and a revolving door involving some Czechs and a Polish girl from Chicago.  Everything felt remarkably easy and un-complicated then.

And we booked a flight from Brussels to Cancun to make our move to Mexico.  Travel within Europe is cheap; we would connect the dots from Barcelona to Brussels as we go.  Which is exactly what we did.  That month and a half was unforgettable.

For example, when we decided to spend a week in Rome, we didn't feel like spending a lot of time looking for accommodations.  We found a place online that was basically a glorified campsite for backpackers.  Besides traditional tent lots, this place boasted tiny private one-room trailer units with a full bathroom and a couple beds in each.  For something like €26 a night, you just can't beat the price.  On the plus side, the camp came complete with its own bar/restaurant, swimming pool, laundry facilities, and a supermarket right across the street, all right near central Rome.  On the downside, after a certain time of day, bus service to the street where the camp was located became spotty, so the only way to return home was to run along a high-speed roadway for several blocks, often without a sidewalk or even shoulder, in the dark, risking your life to save the taxi fare.


Carlos sits on his bed studying some Italian verbs, a few inches away from the bathroom

The point is, at that time perfection was the farthest thing from my mind.  We were just having a great time.  I guess it's all fun and games until someone gets banned from the US for life.

So I've recently decided it's time to stop trying to be perfect.  I have a family to reunite and our time is running out.  I'm going to start seeking the help of those who are better at things than I am.  And then I'm just going to hope for the best.

4 comments:

Corin said...

Wonderful, poignant post. Hang in there.

Renata said...

Amy, we are here to help you in anyway we can. Your perseverance and determination is an example to all. Great post btw...

pandorabora said...

I agree, perfection is unnecessary! Great update!

Tanya said...

God is in control and He is the One who will open doors or keep them closed. The prayers of the righteous availeth much. Be encouraged as you persevere to keep your eyes focused on Jesus the Author and Finisher of your faith. Lord God, please bless your children! Much love to you Amy!

Calvin and Tanya Egler

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving your comments! Feel free to agree, disagree, or provide your own perspective. However, personal attacks will not be tolerated and such comments will be deleted. Also, including the sources for any information you provide is highly encouraged! :)

Sorry, I had to turn on word verification, too much spam. :(