Friday, December 28, 2007

apart again...

I'm guessing it's not normal for a newly married couple to spend nearly 2 months of their first 7 in separate countries, but such is our reality.

Anyway, it hasn't been terrible. I (Amy) have had the chance to see all the family and friends I've been missing over these past months. Carlos has been able to hang out with "just the guys" without anyone having to worry about leaving me out.

Christmas was an incredible adventure filled with food, food, and more food, along with the joy of being with family.

So far every time I drive, it's in typical Chicago winter weather involving high-velocity winds, freezing rain/ice/sleet/blowing snow, etc. For someone who hadn't driven in 4 months, that was initially a shock but after a few minutes you get back into Chicago Driving Mode. Carlos told me that driving here was going to seem like driving in a park after what happens on the roads in Monterrey. I thought he was exaggerating, but boy was he right. Even in extreme Chicago weather, it's so easy to drive here.

I had a great reunion dinner with Dennis, Tania, and Ashvin (the crew from the final week in Barcelona). Ironically, we went for tapas at a pretty great little place called 1492 Tapas near State and Superior downtown. We were not disappointed. Big fun, Ashvin was the first to notice that all of the prices ended in .92. Clever. Also, the food was good.

Carlos has been busy holding down the fort (or house) in MTY, paying the rent and bills and all that menial stuff. I think he's been happy to have the house all to himself, although he also claims to miss me. I definitely miss him.

A few more busy days of weddings, downtown adventures, and coffee with friends before I head back. I don't think I've ever appreciated a break as much as this one!

Maybe next year, with some divine intervention, we can be here together with everybody for Christmas.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving your comments! Feel free to agree, disagree, or provide your own perspective. However, personal attacks will not be tolerated and such comments will be deleted. Also, including the sources for any information you provide is highly encouraged! :)

Sorry, I had to turn on word verification, too much spam. :(