Wednesday, September 16, 2009

We have a new ally!

Recently, we were granted the honor of an appointment with Clarisol Duque, who is the director of Senator Durbin's Chicago office. Yesterday, I went with Lucas and my mom to meet her. I expected it to be a quick in-and-out type of thing where she would listen to our story for a minute and then assure me that Senator Durbin will support immigration reform.

Instead, here's what happened.

We waited in the reception area for a couple minutes and then she came out, super friendly, and really excited to meet Lucas. He, by the way, put on such a show, being extra-cute and smiley and charming the whole time. So she led us, not to some little office or cubicle, but to the CONFERENCE ROOM, big, huge corner room there on the 38th floor overlooking the south end of Chicago's Loop and Lake Michigan.

Then Ms. Duque sat down, opened a notepad, and said, "So, tell me about your situation."

So I did, and she listened intently. She wrote down all the legal codes. She wrote down dates of entries and the visa interview. She was concerned but not shocked that Carlos, being a minor at the time, was held to 6(c)(ii), the lifetime ban with no waiver for misrepresentation as a US citizen. She asked where we're at with appeals and such.

Her biggest concern was with the fact that 6(c)(ii) was held against a minor rather than the fact that it is unwaiveable. This is not a surprise, as that's where Durbin's heart is with immigration legislation. As she stated, even if Senator Schumer's (D-NY) much-anticipated immigration reform bill were to include a waiver for 6(c)(ii), it's still an injustice that Carlos should be charged with it in the first place.

So she said she wants to START by investigating if there's a precedent for success in what our attorney most recently attempted, which is getting DHS to review a waiver and determine eligibility for it rather than the consulate. She says she'll have her people look at that first. She expressed concern and interest in our case, which was much more than I was expecting.

By the way, she is the most knowledgeable person I've talked to about our case to date who wasn't deeply involved in their own immigration situation. This especially surprised me because her job is not to deal with immigration cases; she literally RUNS Durbin's Chicago office. I was totally blown away by her knowledge, professionalism, and yet very easy-going, warm character. She gave me faith that Senator Durbin's office might play a big role in our family someday seeing our dream of togetherness in the US come true.

Where this will go, we don't know, but we have renewed energy that we might see something positive happen for our case. :)

Here are some photos from our exciting day

Lucas, enjoying the view from the Metra. This is the stop where his Mommy used to get off to visit Daddy back when they were dating!















After the meeting, walking around downtown. Lucas had enough excitement and napped in Grandma's favorite umbrella stroller.
















Back at home, Lucas models the adorable outfit he wore all day, courtesy of Ryan and Harper Guerra.

Alternate caption: "This is the outfit I was wearing when I crawled around in Senator Durbin's conference room!"

5 comments:

PuertoVallartaGirl said...

Wow, I am glad to read your blog. We need all the help we can get. I read a negative article today about immigration reform today and it said that UNLESS the latino community REALLY pushes and puts force on congress they might not do anything. I think that is crap but all the more reason to push harder!

Rebecca said...

That is awesome! I hope you can bring your husband home soon. I admire all that you are doing to fight. When i found out my husband had a lifetime ban i guess we kinda gave up. After being told by numerous lawyers it was hopeless it was just do discouraging. While as the law stands now it is kinda hopeless, you have reminded me that i can still fight for change. Thank you.

Ramy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tasksgirl said...

Yes!!!!!!! I am so happy for you I am about to cry...! I am so glad SOMEONE finally listened to you.. I *KNEW* someone with Durbin would .. it was just a matter of getting to the right person..! I am keeping my fingers crossed for you guys ! =)

PS - OMG Lucas is getting soo big!! And still super cute like always ;)

Amanda said...

keep fighting, Sorry Im not in the trenches with you, like Rebbecca said when we got his life time ban and asked for help from many people in government we gave up. You are a roll model to us all.

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving your comments! Feel free to agree, disagree, or provide your own perspective. However, personal attacks will not be tolerated and such comments will be deleted. Also, including the sources for any information you provide is highly encouraged! :)

Sorry, I had to turn on word verification, too much spam. :(